Thursday, January 26, 2006

Career Ideas that I never really considered until now....

When I was a kid, I grew up in the sticks, the pine barrons if you will. My parents were city people so when they decided to move into the country, they really moved. It was so far from where they had lived and their families lived that we rarely had visitors........and when we did have parties, there was always the running joke about "had to pack a lunch to get here"......"you have electricity here". There were a lot of nice things about growing up in the middle of nowhere. My sister and I used to go ice-skating on the cranberry bogs. I was never any good at it and soon after my mom laced up my skates, I'd be ready to go home. I used to drive her crazy. When I'm not good at something I tend to quit. Another fun thing we used to do (in my memory fairly often....) was go to a livestock auction in our town. My town was mostly farms at that time, generations of farmers..... I loved going to the auction because before the auction started you could walk around the back, which was covered and look and touch all the animals. I loved that part. I guess I didn't know many were probably being sold to the slaughter......I was thinking they were pets. There was a time that my father was pretty serious about buying a goat, in fact I think he even bid on one once. So, after we went through the stables and saw all the animals (I loved the sheep and cows best) we would sit for a little while and watch the auction. They would bring in the animals...we all sat on old wooden bleechers.....some animals were hard to handle and that would be exciting. It was like being on another planet because we surely stuck out like sore thumbs, cowboy hatless and all..........

Long story short, I have always been entranced by the auctioneer. How does one learn this art?
The auctions at Christies surely don't sound anything like a livestock auction.

Then I considered how one gets into this profession? Is it passed down? Your daddy was an auctioneer? There's a school.....did you know?

I was glad to see that for Livestock Auctioneering (which is what I would do) the curriculum is only 5.0 hours!

I just never know what they say or what any of it means. I wonder if anyone has written any research papers about it. It's fascinating to me!

http://www.twiauctioneers.com/understading_the_auctioneers_cha.htm

http://www.waltonauctionsite.com/a-school.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Katty Kat said...

I may have given off the impression that I am a city slicker but I grew up in hicksville. My town had a general store, town hall and small cemetary filled with native American Indians......the good news was we were only about 40 miles from Philly.....we used to take our trash to a DUMP......for years. I loved to go to the dump.....with my dad. it was a treat!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home