Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Could this be real?

I was reading the new york times today and there was an article on the front page about "standing room" on airlplanes being the next way to go.........I was skeptical when I saw the article was written by Christopher Elliot........

I can't imagine that is possible but I bet it would be the cheapest way to go, well, that until they start opening the cargo area. For $5 you can ride with your pet.......believe me, I'd prefer rather than sit next to some other animal that takes up "both" arm rests and removes his shoes......."hello, we aren't home".........

I had plans this year, as I usually do, to jetset to europe on one of my super special deals........
How can you beat $399 RT airfare and hotel in London for 7 nights? You can't.

But this year, the fuel surcharge was $245 this winter so needless to say, my cheap ass stayed home. Don't get me wrong, the $245 added to $399 is still a great deal but paying almost as much for my airfare in fuel made me ill.

So, I read another article a few weeks ago about airlines charging for the bulk head seats.
Now, granted, they are kick ass and I've been lucky enough to have them several times on long hauls but why should I pay for that? They only want to charge $15 but still, the person that sits in those seats is doing a service..............nothing may happen but YOU were prepared and ready for the task if need be. You were an american hero on that flight..........

So, the article said $15 per bulkhead could give airlines as much as an extra $150,000 per day.
I'd pay i guess but I ain't doing a thing. If I pay, I don't work for nothing........do I still have to open the door and help people out??? Screw that, I'm jumping on that raft slide and I might not remove my stilettos!

So, back to this article today. Standing room only. Well it better be short flights to boston or NYC.
I always day dream about the old movies were you see people lounging upstairs in the airplane, having drinks and smoking (now you can't smoke on a plane....was that EVER a good idea?)
Maybe I am thinking of a cartoon but I think it was some old 60's movies.

Many planes as you know have an upstairs but it is more of the same as downstairs just roomer.

So, basically you can stand.....private jets let you sleep in a bed, doing whatever you want.....
So, if I get a standing room only seat.....where do I sit when we take off and land?

The image in the paper is of a man strapped into what looks like the gurney that hanibal Lector was on when they transported him from hospital to hospital. I don't see this photo in this online version.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/business/25seats.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home