Monday, February 06, 2006

We need more Disclaimers.....in our lives!

Not long ago I blogged about commercials that annoy me. Now, I am guilty of paying too much attention to commercials. Whatever happened to going to get a snack, going to the bathroom during commercials??

Now, I watch them with this critical eye as if I work for the top ad agency.

The other night I saw a few ridiculous commercials. They weren’t ridiculous for content necessarily but for disclaimer reasons.

One commercial I saw this weekend, showed a kid, duct taped to a large firecracker, like a rocket if you will. At the bottom of the screen it said “Do not Attempt”. I became immediately red with rage. Again, everyone has to CYA. If kids aren’t throwing large items off bypasses a la Beavis and Butthead, they are engaging in “Backyard Wrestling” or regular wrestling techniques that end in the death of millions of school chums. Actually that one boy from Florida did kill a friend doing some move he saw on TV.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/LAW/03/09/wrestling.sentence.04/index.html

Anyway, after my rage subsided I was glad that this company (can’t even tell you what product they were peddling…so it is a lousy commercial) added the disclaimer on the TV. I don’t want my young cousins or friend’s kids strapping the neighborhood kids to explosive devices which they bought at Walmart. Disclaimers are one thing when you watch a car commercial or someone doing some extreme sport activity. Kids are morons and people are morons so it is best to be safe from the company point of view.

The print is so small I can’t read half of the disclaimers. Is there one for using a walkman or Ipod and dancing across a street? There should be. Or what about using your cell phone to download ITunes or watching the episode of Lost that you missed while eating a Gordita and crossing the street? What about eating at Taco-Bell? That can cause high cholesterol not to mention a gob of GI problems. What about a disclaimer about cell phones? Someone might hit you if you annoy the heck out of them with your lame ass conversation? I want more disclaimers. Medicines on TV have tons of disclaimers only they are narrated not written...."taking this medication if you have bladder control issues will cause eyes to bleed"......So, I want someone to tell me what I shouldn't do. The written disclaimer is too small and could go missed!

The other commercial that really made me crazy this weekend was the one that Burger King recently put out. Has anyone seen this one? Dr. Cheesy?
I don’t even want to explain it but the commercial involves a cheesy guy, dressed like a womanizer from 1968, depicting a doctor but not seeing patients and not prescribing medication………he just calls himself Dr. Cheesy. Like how my friend Bunny used to call himself…Dr. Suave.

Well thank heavens for more disclaimers because Burger King had to tell us that Dr. Cheesy isn’t a real doctor. I already knew it………I mean what doctor do you know prescribes eating at Burger King……..(actually he didn’t prescribe anything)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home